about this project...

This whole thing started when I decided to do a 365 project in January of 2011 (one photo a day for a year). But then my camera broke. And that's kind of funny because it had finally occurred to me that you can't plan life. So I stopped seeking out photos to take and started living a little more. And I got back into volleyball, and I planned a trip to Tuscany and I took an Italian class. And I reconnected with old friends, made some new ones, jumped out of a plane, decided to play softball for the summer and discovered that I like to drink tequila and, hell, I even moved into Manhattan! And then the time was right so I bought a NEW camera to take some new photos with, and I'll share them with you here. So, welcome to my non-project. Or, as I like to call it, life.





27 July 2011

The Dalton Gang

The Dalton Gang was a gang of brothers, plus a few other old fashioned perps, who ran around the country robbing trains and pulling some real deal western bank heists.  Their reign of the wild west ended in Ocober of 1852 in Coffeyville, KS when the gang attepmted to pull off robbing two banks in the same town, at the same time - something no other outlaw gang had ever attempted.  The plan was to take in enough money in this one robbery for the entire gang to leave the country.

I suppose these brothers weren't the smartest though (shocker), as they elected their very own hometown to attempt this daring robbery.  Ultimately, the townies recognized the bandits and defended their turf, leaving all but one killed in gunfights throughout the Coffeyville center of town.

Hope you enjoyed my CliffsNotes version of this historical debauchery.

This is one of the original banks where the heist was attempted.

A loveley piece of work depicting the dead brothers.  Painted right on the sidewalk.

A map of the chaos that went on that day, painted on the side of a True Value.

I wonder if Lucius is in my family tree...?

Here's where Bob went down. 

The original city jail where they stored the bodies of the Dalton Gang members who were killed.  Charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love!